Ida Top – A Wearable Muslin


Ever since Alex (Sewrendipity) started sharing her projects made with patterns from FibreMood I was hooked. So far this sewing magazine is used more than other sewing magazines I have in my stash. Did you know that Minerva, just announced they are stocking FibreMood magazines and patterns*? I know where, I’ll be going for my favourites.

Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, marked with *. Please read my Reader Disclosure Policy for details of what that means.

I love that I can see what patterns the magazine comes with, makes it so much easier to decide whether it’s worth getting that particular issue. Today’s project is a pattern from issue 10*, Ida blouse. This a loose fitting top that has V-neck lines (lower in the front) which can be worn back to front if you so choose.

I started with this top because at the moment I on a mission to try to use as much as possible all the small pieces of fabric that I have leftover from other projects through the years. I want to clear out as much fabric so that I can replenish the stash. lol

This top comes in XS – XXL sizes. I made a Small using some vicosose that was left over from a shirt and blouse (which I did not blog about) I made some time ago. If you don’t already know, this is similar to Burda Style and Patrones magazines among others, where several patterns are printed, and need to be traced and seam allowance needs to be added. However, Fibremood pattern sheets are not as crazy as Burda Style, they are easier to trace, with only 2 or 3 patterns per sheet.

With only 5 five pattern pieces the top comes together very fast. After my previous experience with FibreMood patterns (see my blog post about Izzy dress) I felt it’s reasonable to adjust the pattern pieces by shortening the bodice above the bust by 3 cm to account for my body being shorter in that area.

As I used viscose, I interfaced the entire cuff not just half as the instructions call for. They stick out a little more than I expected but i’m happy with that.

Although the top fits fine, I will size up and make a medium in a thinker fabric just to see how that goes. The top does not require more that 1 m of fabric and I have quite a few in my stash that need to be used up. I am still debating whether or not to shorten the bodice if I make this again or not.

Looking at the top the model wears on the picture at the top of this post, I think she is wearing one size up from normal, she is also very tall. She must have very thin arms, as the sleeves look bigger in her version than on me.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.