Disclaimer: This post includes links to products or companies that sell sewing related goods.
It took so long, but not because it was difficult to make, but because I decided to take a break when I got to put the sleeves in (and the break was on a bit too long). I made most of it in January 2015, including a muslin and all. I made it using some wool boucle mix for the outer layer and some crazy cotton for the lining (it is my coat so I can put anything I want inside it, lol) I got from my local Abakhan store.
As I knew straightaway that I would not want the sleeve to be that short or loose (I don’t own a pair of long sleeves to wear in the colder weather) I thought the sensible thing would be to used the sleeve pattern from another jacket that was more fitted. For this I chose the sleeve of Spearmint from Lolita Patterns which you can buy as a PDF of paper version.
For a long time it was pretty much in the UFO section like this:
As you can imagine, I do not remember many details from when I made the actual coat, it’s been so long since I made it. After adding the sleeves and making the lining for it, it got dumped in the UFO pile again as I chickened out when it was time to add the lining to the outer shell. It needed to look good since it was to be shown to the public. Also, had doubts that I’d be able to get good buttonholes in this fabric. That until I got my awesome Husqvarna Viking Opal 690Q machine (I really do think its magical, I can put buttonholes in any fabric with it and love the sensor system it has).
But here are a few details of the finished jacket. I topstitched all the seams and hems to keep them in place and not give the coat an unfinished look.
My coat is not perfect, but I like it. It’s cute and I’ll get a few wears out of it in the autumn.
Now I find it a bit too lose on me. Which can mean only one thing, I’ve lost some weight since I first started to make it or I was not wearing enough layers underneath. I like it the first. LOL