Disclaimer: This post includes links to products or companies that sell sewing related goods.
Remember some time ago I was telling you that I am making a shirt for my brother. I made a toile first, about which I wrote in a post here.
Armed with some fabric from my local Abakhan store and with the pattern changed to the new specs, I started work on the new shirt. I even consulted my book ’Secrets from the fashion industry’ by edited by Susan Huxley 1996 to make sure I make the best shirt I can make.
After a failed attempt (I am embarrassed to say I made this shirt twice because I skipped one simple step – stay-stitching the neckline. I know!) I made sure that I stabilised the neckline of both the back and front bodices.
This second time, I decided to insert the sleeve placket the traditional way and used a pattern I found online, rather the use the option given with the pattern itself. I got a much cleaner finish that I am happier with, what the one on the original shirt.
As usual to finish off the raw edges on the inside of the shirt I used the overlocker/serger, using thread that matched the fabric (already in my stash, I did not buy thread specially for this).
I really wanted to use this fancy little embroidery stitch on my machine so I added a little car on the collar, just for fun.
So far, this is the best shirt I’ve made for someone else. I think I am getting better at inserting a collar on stand.
The only trouble, it that the shirt now no longer fits him. He gained some weight and it’s too small for him. Grr…. I hate him. I put a lot of effort into it. And I made him not one shirt but two. I wanted to surprise him, and made him a short sleeve version as well out of some crinkly fabric which I got from Abakhan as well.
For the second one, I decided it’s best to interface both collar stand pieces and I am glad I did, as having the extra interface on them made things easier while constructing the shirt.
To insert the buttons on the centre front placket I had to use embroidery wash away stabiliser. I did not want to risk wonky buttonholes. And, I am glad I did.
I was quite happy with this shirt as well. It turned out quite nice.
Imagine the disappointment I felt when the shirts did not fit him. He should loose weight, don’t your think! Anyhow, I’m done sewing for him, at least for now.
Oh no! At least now he has the motivation the lose the weight!
I’d love to say that for him that would be motivation enough. Sadly, I don’t think he will. But the shirts are not lost, I’ve given them to my uncle who was happy to have them.
Well he’ll be sorry! Those shirts look beautiful I have not made a dress shirt for my son yet, but I hope mine look as nice as yours! Beautiful!