Origami Top – a Bit of a Disappointment

When I went to London for the GBSB Live, we, me and Gemma, tried the Origami top workshop.

The pattern used during the workshop was the Origami Top by The Maker’s Atelier.


The pattern seems nice in the pictures. I have not seen many versions of this pattern before. I even tried to ignore Lisa Comfort’s negative review of the pattern, thinking she did it to put her own patterns in a good light, though I knew better as she has done other reviews of Indie patterns which were quite positive.

I think the workshop was overpriced for what we got from it. The workshop ran for 3 hours, but we finished our tops in 1 hour. The advice was rushed and wrong both in my case and Gemma’s. The edges were left unfinished, which is something I hate in my garments. Both of us went against the advice and added length to the bodice. Still, we felt the finished tops were too small. I am so disappointed with my make that I don’t want to share it with you. What a waste of fabric is what I think of it.

The only good thing from this workshop was that I fell in love with my new BabyLock Enlighten overlocker – Baby – with I purchased on the day.


However, I decided not to give up on the pattern yet and made another version with a viscose I got from Abakhan Fabrics. For this one, I chose the long sleeved version and lengthened the bodice by a total of 8 cm from the original hem if the pattern (which was already lengthened by 3 cm at the workshop). Also, I shortened the sleeve by 5 cm as well as adding approximately 2cm ease as my fabric had no stretch.


The first thing I did before overlocking the centre seam was to do a rolled hem on the neckline. No garment of mine should have an unfinished edge!


The process is quite easy. It took me about 2 hours in total to make it from making the adjustments to having a finished garment, including me matching the stripes of the fabric.


I found that the twist looks from the front, but looking form the side, it makes look like you have one breast bigger than the other and one is higher. This is even worse when one is gifted with quite a large bust.


The back is too long whereas the front is too high. I think the front bodice is drafted worn. Even the designer used in the pictures the top tucked into the skirt so that one cannot see how bad it has been drafted. Surely not worth the money they are charging for the pattern.


And those drag lines! Just proves to me that this pattern, if it works, it is only suited to a limited type of fabrics in solid colours. If I am wearing this top will only be around the house as I do not feel confident to take it out into the world. I also decided it totally give up on this and not try to fix it to make a better version of it. I am only disappointed to have wasted my fabric on it.



  1. I have a love/hate relationship with Maker’s Atelier patterns. They are very basic and easy to sew, but one needs to be aware (as for any pattern), that you need make bust adjustments if your bust is larger than a C cup. The top pulling up at the front is because you need extra length over your bust, rather than the pattern being badly drafted, and you need to have made a full bust adjustment. Also, be aware that you chose the wrong fabric for this top – it is designed for stretch jersey only, and is not advised for woven without stretch. Your fabric choice therefore would not drape as intended. I agree that the finishing instructions of the patterns are very rough – I have seen Frances Tobin’s patterns made up at various sewing shows and I find the finish very rudimentary. I do couture sewing and traditional tailoring, so I like a good finish. For the two Maker’s Atelier patterns that I have made, I elevated the finish with facings or lining, and the results were much, much better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.