Darling Ranges Dress #SewMyStyle

Another month has passed and it is time again for another installment of #SewMyStyle. August’s pattern is Darling Ranges dress by Megan Nielsen Patterns.

To test the fit on the bodice I decided to do the top version first. The instructions on how to convert this pattern into a blouse or an A-line dress are included with the pattern instructions and they are very straight forward. Although if you feel you need more details you can always check their blog.

For my top, I used fabric I got from Abakhan’s. I think is some sort of cotton blend.

I started by stay-stitching the neckline, to make sure it does not stretch out of place.

I was impressed with the instructions on how to work out the neckline facing, a combination of using bias-tape and self -facing.


The instructions do not advise it, but because of my choice of fabric. I chose to slip stitch the little fold where the neckline and the facing meet to get a neat finish.

Then, I finished the whole neckline by topstitching all the way around the front and back neckline with red thread to add a bit more interest and used the rent in the some of the spots. In the bobbin, I used white thread.

I also made the buttonholes using red thread and added red buttons.


As I was fairly happy with the fit of the blouse, I decided that I want to make the dress version as well. For this, I used my buttons’ fabric I bought on my last visit to the brick and mortar shop of Minerva Crafts when it was still open.

The skirt on this pattern is gathered. However, as my figure does not suit gathered skirts (or maybe I do not like this look on myself) I decided to add pleats instead. I made the pleats be in line with the darts in the bodice too.

As usual, I finished the seam on the over-locker if they were exposed, except for the pockets, which I  forgot about and when I remembered about it was too late.

On the dress, I did not have to slip-stitch the neckline where the facing meets the bias tape as the fabric is more stable.

All went well until I got to open the buttonholes. Oh.. Even now I cringe at the memory.

On the second buttonhole, as I was using a new seam ripper and held it on an angle I ripped through the fabric. I almost cried in spite! but luckily the fabric I used meant that I can fix it and it is not too obvious.

Looking at the pictures I like the finished dress. I think I need to shorten it by another 5 cm to have the hem hit above my knees. The fabric feels really soft on the skin.

I can honestly say that Megan Nielsen Patterns are one of my favorite brands of indie patterns. It took me a while to start using them, but I have had such good makes using their patterns that now I am hooked.

#SewMyStyle 2017 – links to my previous makes in the challenge: January – Toaster Sweater, February – Saunio Cardigan, March – Virginia Leggings, April – Bridgetown Dress, May – Basics.Pocket Skirt.June – Briar Top and Sweater , July – Valley Blouse.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.