OK! So I am trying to catch up with posting some of ‘me’ old makes. This particular one I made in March! Ops! About three months behind! Oh dear! It just takes me ages to take photos of me in my makes. Also most of the time I do prefer to sew. When Colette Patterns updated their free pattern – Sorbetto, I downloaded the new version and finally got to make it. I had the first version, sitting on my To-Sew list for longer than I can remember. Another OPS! Any how! I decided to make Version 3 – the one with sleeves.I used fabric I bought on a whim from my local Abakhan and it is a poly cotton navy background with white dots and cherries. I just could not help myself.
I decided to shorten the bodice by 3.5 cm, which looking back it was too much. I should have kept it to 2 cm. As now the dart it’s too high. I cut a size 6 and made no other changes while putting the PDF together. How I loath this part of sewing!Because it is quite simple to make, I did not need to use the instructions. However, I read through them while I was writing this post. Although this is a free pattern, a lot of work went into putting together the instructions and a beginner sewist will feel confident making this top using just the instructions alone. I like that this one acctually tells you straight from the start to stay-stitch the neckline (obviously the front one you’d do this after you sew in the box pleat) and the armhole openings.
I chose to finish the neckline after I stitched the shoulder seams. For this I used ready made bias tape, satin one. Then I added my sleeve on the flat, using a ton of pins to ease it into the armhole. I prefer this technique more, although the general instructions get you to do this once the side seam are sewn together. I learnt about this technique from May Martin at a sewing day organised by Simplicity in Manchester last year (which I blogged about here). It is time consuming but I get better results than when I am using two rows of gathering to ease the fabric in and it stops me from rushing through. For the rest of the seams, I just used the overlocker to finish them off.For the hems, I usually thread trace them and then turn over twice so there is no unfinished side left on show. So this is what I did with this top as well.Then it took me forever and a day to get some pictures of it. Phew!
I do like how it fits. Because my fabric is quite busy the box pleat gets lost. So Im thinking when I make another Sorbetto again to consider a solid colour.I think the fact that this is quite a versatile little top and can be worn in the office as well. Not that I show up there to often considering that I work from home.
I am sure at some point I will make another one. I am thinking of version 2 maybe but maybe add some sleeves. I’ll have to wait because I need to collect a few more PDFs I can print at a copy shop (my case on the internet) in A0 and save myself a lot of time.
Have you made the Sorbetto? Please share your makes with me, I am looking for more inspiration for my next one. Have a lovely weekend!
I love the sorbetto but find the old pattern a better stash buster, for some reason the new one needs more fabric. I want to make a sleeved one soon though. I love yours, the fabric stops it being a plain Tshirt. It’s fab ☺
Thanks Emma! Well they added two variations to it and I think they redrafted the pattern.
Great top, love how the dots on the box pleat match up with the rest. I haven’t made this pattern yet but should really give it a try.
You’ve made a beautiful, fruity Sorbetto version. It suits you well. The Sorbetto Top was one of my first makes when I started making my own clothes about three years ago. I also was struggling with the bust darts and changed them into darts towards the waist en hips. This alteration really changed the fit and looked so much better on me.