When this pattern made it’s way on my Instagram feed, I just fell in love with it. It did not matter that the pattern is from a French designer – Vanessa Pouzet – and the instructions are in French. Technically I know French as I studied it in school. So I knew I’ll manage to figure out the instructions, even if I do not understand everything.
The name of the pattern is Wanted Tee- Shirt. And comes in PDF form only. The neckline was what attracted me to this pattern in the first place.The pattern itself has only 18 pages and easy to put together. You are given 4 sleeve lengths to choose from. Also the sizing range is quite big from 34-48. I fall in the middle with size 40. However as the pattern is drafted for someone who is 168 cm tall I knew at least the sleeves need to be shortened by at least 7 cm. Other than that, for the first try I made no other changes.
As this was the first time I worked with this pattern company, I decided it might be a good idea to make a toile. So the fabric my lovely friend Gemma gave me was perfect for this. If I am not mistaken it came from the well known Abakan store, next door to me. Although the instructions were in French, they are well structured and accompanied by diagrams. So what I could not understand in French I made up with my experience and the diagrams. Besides you know me, I sort of glimpse at the instructions and then do my own thing anyway.
For the shoulder seams I used clear elastic to strengthen the seam. To keep the elastic in place, I had to use fabric glue as it kept moving and had to unpick the first try. The trickiest part is adding the neckband to the neckline. It took me a while to figure it out. But I think for a first run my neckline looks good. I used a purple fabric as I wanted to give it a bit of contrast. The inside of the Tee is a bit messy, as I made the whole thing on the sewing machine. To stabilize the hems and avoid the waves, I used some knit interfacing, which I got all the way from America. If any of you know a good source here in the UK please let me know.I also used a 3 point zig-zag after hem was stitched, I cut off the excess. The constructions come together quite fast as it is a simple top. Although the fabric is not really my kind of fabric. I am please with the fit of the top. I do however need to shorten it by about 1.5cm between the shoulder and bust, as I feel it gapes a bit. As this is so easy to put together and does not take too much fabric. I’ll sure make a lot more versions of it. As I mentioned before, I already made the small adjustments needed so as I manage to clear my other projects I’ll make another one of these.