Finally The Coat Is Ready

It only took me like, what? over 6 months to make this. Ops! I started it some time in May last year. I think I got half way through and then gave up. It sat in my WIP section until November when I thought it might be time to finish it. Then took some time to take pictures of it and some more time for me to get cracking and actually write the post for this.  The pictures were taken by my photographer friend Dominic  – here is a link to his website – in case you need a photographer or know someone who does).  IMG_0309-copyFor this coat, all the notions came from my local store- Abakhan. I chose a Butterick Pattern. I went with black (with blue metallic threads) wool mix for the main body and crazy lining fabric (think is some kind of viscose which was a pain to work with, by the way).  IMG_0655I cut size 12 cup B based on finished garment measurements. I am sure I shortened the sleeves and done some other adjustments but it was so long ago as well as before I started making project cards, that now I do not remember what I did.  For the most part I did follow the instructions. Except for the last part when I added the bottom to the top after adding the sleeves to the bodice. Because I wanted to stabilize the seams I top-stitched them either side. You can not  really tell in the picture because I used back thread on black, impossible to photograph. IMG_3678Also I decided to add a hanging loop (I am sure it has a proper name, but that is all that occurred to me now) to it using lining fabric. Which I attached before getting the bodice lining on. IMG_3671IMG_3676On this one some hand sewing happened, as well to close the lining and add the buttons. IMG_3674When I was about to test the buttonhole with a scrap of fabric I realised the button won’t fit into the machine gadget, as it was too big. But, I was intent on using them on my coat. So, instead I sewed them on the outside and then added some poppers on the inside, more hand sewing. Grr…. Way to much for my liking.  By that time I was way to far into construction to consider bound buttonholes. Besides the fabric was way too loose to attempt them anyway. IMG_3677Although this is not finished as well as I want it to. But it is a nice jacket , somewhat to light for winter, so it will be my spring jacket now. 

And now on, to some pretty pictures, that I hope you will enjoy, as  much as I did when they were taken. IMG_0266-copyIMG_0294-copyIMG_0304-copyIMG_0312-copyIMG_0319-copyIMG_0316-copyIf I make this pattern again, I will need to make sure I use a more solid fabric and make the longer view (view B) not A as this time. Also I will add buttons also below the waist, not just above on the bodice. I feel it needs more buttons to keep it in place better. Maybe because I only used my buttons as decoration and I am closing the coat with poppers I feel the coat is not totally secure when fastened.  I do like however the fact I can use the collar as a scarf to keep my neck warm.



  1. Gorgeous photos of a lovely coat, I love the funky lining and big buttons, I used big poppers on my coat too for the same reason. It looks great on and the scarf collar so cosy.

    • Thanks! Now that the weather starts to warm up a bit, I can’t wait to wear it. 🙂 love that we can do stuff like that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.