One of my next projects is the Scarlett dress and I have big plans for it. But, before cutting into my selected fabric, I decided that maybe it would be a good idea to make a muslin for the bodice. After talking to Claire (the founder of SimpleSew Patterns) and noticing that their sizing changed I felt that making a muslin was in order, even though I already knew I have to make a FBA (full bust adjustment).
I will not delve into the importance of making a muslin or discuss major fitting issues. There are plenty of online resources about this and I don’t see the point of trying to reinvent the wheel nor do I feel I have enough experience with this to give advice. This is more a review and my personal findings on the subject.
For this project I used fabric that was already in my stash and some fabric I got at the SewUpNorth meet-up exchange (Thank you to whomever put it in the swap) and the Scarlett dress pattern.
Then I tried it on, and found it a bit too long. As you can notice in the front there are some drag lines. Which are also in the back. Also I found the top sliding of my shoulders. So I concluded that the bodice is too long for me. Darn, I love the fabric.
I had to go back and start again: I re-traced my bodice pieces and only did a FBA on the front bodice. For my second top I used fabric I got in the SewUP North meet up from Leeds last autumn. The second top fits like a glove. I love it! It also feels a lot more comfortable than the other one.
Hope that this will inspire you to make a muslin to check the fit on new to you patterns. Happy Sewing!