So the Wrap Skirt saga continues. The first skirt I blogged about here.
Usually I don’t really use ready made items to inspire my makes. But when I saw a Karen Millen skirt image I found on Pintrest I just could not find myself form thinking of making something similar.
It started with the picture below. I only have the link from Pintrest as it is no longer on Karen Millen’s website. I did not really fancy making a pattern myself for it, though I do not think it would be to hard, but it would have involved making some muslins and I am not a big fan of them.
Then I saw the cover of issue 3 for Sewing Made Simple and thought to myself I can make it work and adapt that pattern to mimic the Karen Millen skirt.
Although I don’t really like what they have done with the skirt in the magasine (have you seen than pocket? What were they thinking?, I could see past it a lot of potential.
Anyhow, I made size 8, which still turned out to large. Not sure why they chose to start as size 8 with a waist of 29.5 inches, usually that’s a size 14 or 16. So, I assumed they meant to say finished garment measurements. Also I thought to make the skirt more like the skirt that inspired me what if I used for the facing contrasting fabric and sewing on the right side of the fabric. And my skirt was in the making! As you can imagine, I left the pocket out, It would have ruined my skit. Totally not necessary. Also, they could have Thought of a more flattering shape or even consider inseam pockets.
For the topstitching on the right side I changed my thread to red, for a more professional finish. To match the facing, I used red bias tape to finish the hem.It was a bit of a debate in my head what colour buttons to use, but the blue ones won in the end. I find the skirt on the large side so it does not sit on my waist. I might have to shorten it a bit. but I am quite happy with the result. The skirt even saw some snow! You know on that one day in March! LOL
Beautiful skirt. Nice work inside and out! I love the red contrast!