Pyjamas? More Pyjamas?–White Tree Fabrics Project



After making Carolyn Pajamas  – blogged about here – and the top from Butterick  – see here – one would think I have enough pyjama sets. That’s what  I thought  as well.

To be fair, I did intend to make Fifi  long before I started making Carolyn Pajamas. However as the fabric I chose was line that ended up being discounted, it took longer for lovely Lisa from White Tree Fabrics to send me the supplies so I ended up with  making more pyjamas for myself .

For a long time I fancied making Fifi, especially after seeing some lovely versions online. By now I have a large number of pyjamas that I made myself.  Below is a  picture of the supplies I was sent for this project. The project also requires bias binding that can be made or bought. I used some from my own stash.  IMG_0534

According to the pattern sizing I am a size 4 for the bust but size 3 for waist and hips. From my own experience, I know that I need to cut  the size of my waist to get a better fit across my back and shoulders, and then do a full bust adjustment (FBA). For this one I decided to cut size 3 for all pieces except the front bust piece. I traced a size 4 for this. Then I made the bust pleats bigger by adding 4mm to each of them, so that the pieces for the bust were the same width as the lower bodice when sewed together. IMG_1433    I decided to  cut my shorts first and then the top pieces. When I was laying down the opt pieces on the fabric, which was still on fold I realised that I would have enough to make two sets not just one with the fabric provided.  It did not take me long to make the decision that two sets is better than one as I did not want to waste any fabric. I think I am going to live in my pyjamas from now own. IMG_0539  Tilly’s instructions are straight forward. They are beautifully explained in the booklet that accompanies the pattern. For the most part, I did my own thing. I did french seams to join all the pattern pieces together and on some seams I also top stitched them making them flat felled seams. I felled this will make the inside prettier. I love pretty insides in my clothes.

IMG_1510IMG_1519What I like most about the top are the bust pleats. I love the way they look on the finished garment. Also for a FBA its easier to cut a larger size and then modify the pleats to get a better fit. IMG_1508As I made two tops I wanted them to be different, so I used red bias tape for one and navy blue for the other. Also I attached the bias tape in one step not two as suggested in the instructions. To make sure I am catching both sides I used a zig-zag stitch. IMG_1525IMG_1509

For the shorts I did not use the instructions,  except for the insertion of the elastic. I love Tilly’s technique that leaves the shorts with no exposed edges. I think I will use her way of inserting the elastic in other projects as it looks so professional when finished. IMG_1513IMG_1514

I am pretty happy with the fit of the new sets.


The team at White Tree Fabrics provided me with the supplies:

  • Pattern  Fifi by Tilly and the Buttons
  • fabric: cotton voile from Art Gallery
  • Gutterman thread
  • elastic from Hemline

I remind you that if you fancy getting supplies from White Tree Fabrics you can get 20% of your order by using the code ATTICK


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.