Simple Summer Tunic


Yes, I know we are no where near summer. But that will never stop me. I cannot plan my sewing and I do not tend to change my wardrobe for each  season either. Although I love clothes, I am not a fast fashion consumer nor do I follow fashion trends,  I just make what I like, when I feel like it. Then I just have to  wait until I can actually wear it. UPS.  Anyhow, this is just me rambling.

My lovely friend, Gemma – – lent me this pattern – Simplicity 1080 – Dottie Angel line.  For some reason in my head this patterns was a Lisette line one. Have no idea why! At first I could not understand why I could not find it by searching the Lisette patterns.  Doh! How silly of me . I needed to get the pattern number for this blog post, so had to Google it!   I liked the pattern since it came out, but felt it is a little to simple to warrant me to dish out my money (also I already have so many patterns – not that would stop me).  I only fancied making the tunic version of this pattern – view B. I don’t think the dress suits me and I do find it a bit to shabby chic.  Possibly because of the fabric choices used to illustrate the pattern on the envelope.

I only used the instructions to figure out how the ties are added to the front.  I did not follow them, as the dress is very easy to make for me. This is a beginner friendly pattern. Has no closures, the fit is created by the ties.   To make it, I used one of the pieces of fabric I bought on my trip with Gemma at Leon’s in Manchester last year.

When I copied the pattern, I forgot to trace the pocket facing so, I had to improvise and created my own. Also I chose to make my own bias from self-fabric for the pockets and the neckline. IMG_1451IMG_1458  After putting the ties in, I felt they  were to high, which made the top a bit to tight on me in the bust area. I  lowered them by 5 cm. Now, I think  maybe they are too low, but I can not be bothered to change them again. I did change the placing on the paper pattern to 2.5cm as I think that’s a better placement and would make the finished dress look more like the one on the pattern envelope.  IMG_1452      Because I seem to prefer my garments to  be as pretty on the inside as they are on the outside, for the sides seams I pressed the seam allowance in  half and stitched it in place to hide the raw edges. I used bias tape to hide the shoulder seam raw edges. For the shoulders,  I did not feel like cutting more bias from the self fabric, so I used some ready made one that I had in my bias tape box. IMG_1460IMG_1454IMG_1457  It is a lovely top. Not much  fitting needed as its not a fitted garment. Its easy to  wear and perfect for summer days or  even spring (if its warm outside. In England I won’t hold my breath that this will be the case). I think that when I make my next one, I will make the armhole a little smaller. My bra is peaking from behind it. IMG_1393IMG_1395IMG_1392

Will I make it again for myself?  Maybe.  One of my friends loves it, and I was convinced to make her one as well. Better start on it soon as summer will be upon us in no time!

One thought on “Simple Summer Tunic

Add yours

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Up ↑

Floating Sewist

I float around, hoping to find Home. Sewing as an act of self love.

The scatty sewer

A scatty sewers journey through the world of sewing

Wendy Ward

designer | writer | teacher | maker

The Emerald Heart™ Blog

Evolution through Action


Stuff that our family has made


Returning sewist, crafter and runner


where stitchery gets to meet mediocrity, face-to-face, and firmly shakes it's hand

Emma and her Machine

Adventures in Sewing

%d bloggers like this: