So for my first book review on my blog, I have chosen the first project book I ever bought. (I got mine from The Book Depository – the UK site)
I picked it because as the sub-title says, it has 150 inspired projects; and that was what I wanted at the time, which was about two years ago.
I was impressed when I got the book as it contains a lot of techniques that help you in creating lovely original projects, from soft furnishings to simple clothing.
The book is structured into two main sections ‘Basic Techniques’ and ‘Projects A to Z’. Although the first section is interesting, I was more attracted to the second section of it, with all the lovely projects. And there are all kinds of projects.
It comes with a CD, which has lots of patterns and templates for your projects, not just the ones used in the book, but so many more.
My first project from the book was the Flowering Branches. The first thing I did was to go and get some twigs and so I went for a walk in the park. No worries, it is close to where I live, and the ‘back entrance’ is practically across the street. Then, I had to go shopping as I did not have any ribbons. It did not take me long to find some lovely ribbons. When I got back it took me some time to figure out, it will be time-consuming to wrap the ribbon around my branches and I’d better pick with the ones that do not have too many branches. Otherwise, I’d be at it for a long time and I did want a quick project. Once my twigs we all ribbon-ed, it was time to make the flowers. In no time they were ready. So only the thing left to do was to put them onto the branches. I just pinned them to the branches, you can not even tell the pins are there.
I also made loads of aprons. I chose to use the ‘Baker’s Apron’ as an inspiration. Just made it shorter and for the D ring one of the ends of the neck-straps was loose so depending whom it was intended for, they could have it adjusted by pulling it or loosening it so it was not too long for them.
Some of the projects I made from this book include the wall organiser, which I made for Christmas as a present. I was inspired by two projects in the book. The ribbon-striped bulletin board and the multiple-pocket bulletin board. It did not come out as I wanted it to, but it was a good try.
I have made some pillowcases, both with zips and without. All my pillowcases have openings, so I can wash them. I made a lot more than the ones Bella is defending, which I do not have pictures of.
I tried to get Bella away, but she likes her spot on the puff. Well, at least she is a good model. Not like Ginger, who turns away when you want to take a picture of him. Most of the time, I have to follow him for quite a long time to get a good snap.
However, the book has many more projects. these are some I will be making in the future.
So if you are a novice and want to try your hand at some projects I think this book will help you. The only trouble with it is that it does not have that many diagrams. I tend to construct my projects by the diagrams, that’s what I tend to do with the Simplicity and Vogue patterns in UK, anyway. Sometimes I struggle with written instructions, maybe because my first language is not English.